RISE Life Services’ Day Program Without Walls, The Main Street Connection, celebrated its two-year anniversary on January 8. The program began with two individuals, Michael and Donna (pictured right). Now, this innovative day program has reached 30 people as of January 2020.
Participants of this program are afforded the opportunity to use and build upon their current skill set to participate in the Life of the Community. “The Day Program Without Walls” offers a choice of daily activities that the participants of the program decide upon at regular meetings. The group works on individual goals and a daily routine, even though the activities for the day vary.
The program schedule is Monday through Friday 9:00 a.m.-2:30 pm. The focus of the program is:
- Promoting independence and exploring community integration opportunities
- Supported by a Certified BOCES Teacher
- Visits to libraries, museums, community nutrition classes
- Hands-on training
- Volunteering with Island Harvest, Community Food Pantry, cooking, shopping and bake sales
- Recreational Activities
- RISE’s Sensory Garden
- Membership at the YMCA (swimming, yoga, track, weights, basketball)
- Bowling, wildlife refuges, movies, shopping malls, outings at the park and to the Long Island Aquarium, and other areas of interest.
To learn more, click here. To find out about applying to join this program, contact JoAnn Vitale at (631) 727-6220 ext. 224 or email firstname.lastname@example.org; or Michelle Callahan at (631) 727-6220 ext. 215 or email email@example.com.
RISE Life Services provides a residential and supported living environment on the East End of Long Island, dedicated to empowering people with intellectual disabilities and mental health challenges to RISE to their full potential. To learn more about RISE Life Services, residential housing, job opportunities and other programs, please browse our website or call 631-727-6220 ext. 203 with any questions.