We’ve all been cooking at home a lot more than before, given the current circumstances. We’d like to share a special recipe to heal your soul and cure your quarantine blues. Our executive director, Charles Evdos, shares a Greek chicken soup recipe that his grandmother used to make. We hope you enjoy it. Consider this our ‘warm hug’ for all of you during a time of social distancing. That’s what chicken soup is for after all. Be well!
Avgolemono Soup (Chicken Soup)
- Whole chicken (any size)
- Carrots (4-5)
- Celery (3-4 stalks)
- Onion (1 large or 2 small, chopped)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Orzo or rice, 1/2 cup
- 3 eggs
- 3 teaspoons of corn starch
- 3 lemons
- 1 cup chicken broth
- Take a whole chicken (or in parts) and wash them thoroughly
- Fill a large sized pot halfway up and boil water
- Add chicken to boiling water
- Cook for 2 hours
- Take chicken out and add vegetables (carrots, celery, onions, salt pepper) (Cut veggies into pieces if you choose.)
- Once vegetables are cooked, you can puree veggies if you choose or leave them in pieces/cut.
- Add ½ cup or rice or Orzo
- Cook for ½ hour
- Take 3 eggs, 3 teaspoons of corn starch, juice of 3 lemons and add to a blender, then mix for 20 seconds
- Add one cup of broth to blender and mix for 20 seconds
- Add juice in blender to pot of soup
- Stir and soup is ready to enjoy
Note: For a Take 2 meal, you can take the chicken and make sandwiches. Add bacon, lettuce, tomatoes, mayo and a squirt of lemon, season with salt and pepper. Recipe serves 8.
RISE Life Services provides a residential and supported living environment on the East End of Long Island, dedicated to empowering people with intellectual disabilities and mental health challenges to RISE to their full potential. To learn more about RISE Life Services, residential housing, job opportunities and other programs, please browse our website or call 631-727-6220 ext. 203 with any questions.